[WARNING: The following contains MAJOR spoilers for Westworld Season 4 episode 6, “Fidelity.”]
Whereas Wooden as soon as needed to “restrict [her] emotional have an effect on” as Dolores, going from crying hysterically to stone-faced and toneless in a nanosecond, Paul has now needed to play a number of variations of Caleb Nichols, all in states of bodily and psychological decay. Twitching, stuttering, stumbling, screaming and sobbing his approach via “Constancy,” he delivers an electrifying efficiency.
Caleb, Caleb, Caleb and Caleb
Contained in the Olympiad headquarters, Caleb-278 undergoes questioning by Hale-ores (Tessa Thompson). She delivers just a little exposition about why she’s so desirous about him; his standing as an outlier makes him beneficial as a result of he can inform her why her machine doesn’t work on them. She will be able to scream and yell and kick chairs all she needs, however he’s not going to inform her how he disobeyed her all these years in the past within the park. She additionally lets it slip that he has a “few painful days” of life left, so it looks as if hosts aren’t any higher at merging human minds with host our bodies than people had been. Darn. Both that, or Hale-ores has purposely constructed him to fail in hopes that ache will get him to speak. Both appears doable, nevertheless it does appear odd that host-James Delos stabilized for a month, however poor Caleb will get three days. And the Delos experiments had been a long time in the past!
Angered, Hale-ores does one thing that has large implications: She tells Caleb his daughter is alive, after which she threatens her. Frankie is an outlier as properly, and Hale-ores says that if Caleb gained’t discuss, she’ll carry his daughter in and power her to. With that, Caleb’s core drive kicks in, and he’s decided to make it out of his cell to speak along with her.
Whereas all of this is happening, Caleb re-lives some formative moments. Maeve’s basic reminiscence is intentionally paralleled this episode, as Caleb remembers holding Frankie’s hand in a area the very same approach as Maeve as soon as did along with her daughter. (It’s price noting that the reminiscence is flipped, with Frankie holding Caleb’s proper hand as a substitute of his left. Is that this as a result of Caleb was human, whereas Maeve was a bunch? Every part means one thing on this present.) And as regards to Maeve, Caleb additionally remembers waking up and having a chat together with his then-nurse Uwade (Nozipho Mclean), asking her if Maeve got here again.
Outdoors his recollections, Caleb goes on a harrowing journey, his progress marked by earlier Calebs that died on the factors he surpasses. He crawls via vents, kills drone hosts and barely makes it via alive. The entire thing could be very eerie, but additionally very Westworld; at one level Caleb-278 even makes use of a dying Caleb to interrupt a probably deadly fall. Finally he makes it to the rooftop and to a radio, the place he delivers a stirring speech to Frankie. He apologizes for not being there for her and for “failing,” and he reassures her that she’s “going to win.”
After Caleb finishes sending the message, Hale-ores, standing behind him, has some selection phrases. “What a disappointment,” she says. “I’ve waited such a very long time to know what you had been going to inform your daughter.” The entire thing was a setup. She knew he was going to flee, and she or he let it occur! Defiant, Caleb tells her that the outliers aren’t infecting her hosts — they’re simply dying to allow them to get away from her. This little bit of angle earns Caleb-278 a snapped neck, and after she’s achieved furiously obtrusive out on the skyline, Hale-ores goes to all the assorted different decaying Calebs and terminates their builds. They’re all engulfed in flames a la James Delos, after which she prints one other Caleb: 279. Because the episode ends, she begins one other constancy take a look at for him.
Bernard, Stubbs and Frankie
Miles and miles away, Bernard takes a squad of rebels to revive Maeve. A kind of rebels is Frankie, who has some conflicting emotions about her dad’s buddy; in spite of everything, Maeve’s look was the final time she noticed him. Nonetheless, Bernard insists they want her, so that they descend into the decrease ranges. Repairing her bodily type is simple sufficient, however they should copy her pearl into a brand new one (whereas the information’s intact, the precise pearl sustained harm from years below the sand). Because the switch occurs, Bernard hides the devices contained in the “Butterfly Saloon” participant piano and tells Frankie to maintain them secure. Simple sufficient, proper?
Flawed. Suspicions come up as Frankie realizes Bernard and Stubbs (Luke Hemsworth) are hosts, and the entire group involves the conclusion that for them to have been ambushed on their mission final episode, there should be a bunch of their midst. Hale-ores did ship somebody to infiltrate the resistance — Jay (Daniel Wu), Frankie’s co-leader and buddy. Because it seems, he died on the mission to retrieve the outlier, and Hale-ores changed him with a bunch.
When Frankie gained’t cease Maeve’s knowledge switch or reveal the situation of her pearl, he begins capturing at her. As she geese behind their truck, Caleb’s message comes via on her radio. She simply hears that her father is alive earlier than Jay shoots the machine, chopping him off. Finally, he corners her and calls for to know the place Maeve’s pearl is. “Behind you,” Frankie tells him. Technically, it’s the reality: a completely awake and conscious Maeve is standing behind him, and she or he stabs him within the head.
Maeve and Bernard don’t reunite on-screen this episode, however she does get a pleasant scene with Frankie. After saving her, Maeve tells her she thought she was doing the suitable factor by leaving, however she “didn’t suppose it will result in all this.” Frankie admits she was indignant with Maeve for taking her father away, however a part of her knew that if he was alive, it was as a result of she was with him. (Oh, the irony.) “Let’s end what we began,” Maeve vows, and we’re betting Hale-ores doesn’t stand an opportunity.
- RIP to all of the theories that Caleb-278 was the primary profitable human constancy take a look at. Or — I suppose the host-Calebs might be passing constancy, but when they’re being caught in our bodies which are made to interrupt down, they don’t have an opportunity irrespective of how trustworthy they’re to human Caleb.
- The fixed host-Caleb breakdowns appear ominous for the character’s future on the present, however I doubt Westworld‘s eliminating Aaron Paul. Was Hale-ores’ teased “finish” to his torture not dying, however a approach he can stick round completely as a bunch? Can a human host pearl be uploaded to the Chic? Is human Caleb nonetheless alive someplace, cryogenically frozen like William? If that’s the case, Maeve would possibly be capable of sense him via his limbics like she did earlier within the season.
- I’m sort of unsure what the purpose of the prolonged flashback sequence firstly of the episode was if Jay was getting killed off, anyway. Looks like they may’ve discovered one other approach to have Frankie notice he was a bunch, apart from calling again to a particular line.
- In the event you look intently on the display screen for Caleb-279, it looks as if Hale-ores could be utilizing a special code for him (MA6) than the opposite Calebs. “Current” different Calebs appear to have been MA3, MA4 and MA5. What does that imply? Your guess is pretty much as good as mine.
- Ramin Djawadi by no means misses. That techno remix of the primary theme on the finish of this episode was fireplace. (Ha!)
- This can be a two-weeks-old commentary, however I haven’t seen it talked about. Earlier than Maeve died, she informed Caleb, “See you within the subsequent life, darling.” That was a callback: minus the “darling,” Hector (Rodrigo Santoro) informed Maeve the identical factor simply earlier than sacrificing himself for her within the Season 1 finale.
- There’s nothing incorrect with protecting them pretty much as good associates, however I wouldn’t thoughts Caleb and Maeve ending up collectively romantically. Frankie confirmed this episode that Uwade’s lifeless, and the model of Hector that Maeve fell in love with is gone for good. Caleb and Maeve have the identical priorities. They’ve loads of chemistry (the prepare bar and elevator scenes, for instance), historical past and shared trauma. As a tortured former bad-boy with a coronary heart of gold, he’s her “sort.” Caleb was harm when she left him, as emphasised once more with that “did she come again?” flashback, and she or he clearly has her regrets about leaving. Now that Maeve wouldn’t need to step away, might that change issues?
- In the event you thought Caleb-279’s posture on the finish of the episode was awkward, there’s a very good rationalization for it. He’s intentionally positioned in the identical approach as he was when he “drifted off” after Maeve’s dying, a key element of the constancy take a look at.
- Ranking: 4.5/5. “Constancy” is a bizarre, creepy and thrilling thrill trip.
Westworld Season 4, Sundays, 9/8c, HBO