Whereas most 16-year-olds are simply in the beginning phases of envisioning what they wish to do in maturity, Josh Pierson has already begun making historical past in motorsports. Final yr, he gained the 1,000 Miles of Sebring, which was his debut race—making him the youngest-ever FIA World Endurance Championship race winner.
In June, he grew to become the youngest driver ever to compete within the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans motor race. Signed to United Autosports and with the PR 1/ Mathiasen crew, Pierson has 5 wins and 15 podiums beneath his belt. The Wilsonville, Ore. native could possibly be the rationale endurance racing begins to pique American curiosity once more, or he might take a look at his skills in different racing disciplines. The one certainty appears to be that you can be listening to his title for years to return.
Pierson lately unpacked a few of his race day necessities for Muscle and Health as he prepares for this weekend’s 8 hours of Bahrain. Proper from his Ogio Rig 9800, we dove into the whole lot from his peanut butter M&M’s to what he’s taking part in on his journey guitar throughout his downtime.
- Ogio gear bag: This can be a race journey should for me. This one has over 200k air miles on it!
- Hans gadget: This can be a neck brace aka my guardian angel for my security. The Hans gadget attaches to my helmet and the belts go over the Hans. Your head can nonetheless transfer a bit of bit, but it surely stops sooner or later. The Hans, the belts and the seat that you simply’re in are taking loads of the pressure versus your neck. It has saved loads of drivers and it’s now required to race.
- Knne pads: My knee pads are newer and are additionally fireproof. I used to be struggling bodily within the automobile and knee pads are an effective way to seek out help within the automobile. Components vehicles usually have a reduce out within the middle to carry your legs in place, so your legs don’t transfer round. With the prototypes throughout endurance races, now we have to do driver modifications. With the reduce out within the seat, your legs transfer round so much and are nearly floating within the automobile and get banged round. The knee pads assist help the legs and maintain them in place extra which is helpful. It helps bodily and my knees aren’t getting bruised anymore. I exploit them a majority of the time now and it’s all the time good to have them with me.
- HRX fireproof undershirt and pants: Fortuitously, I’ve by no means had any fireplace points and it is vitally uncommon to occur, but it surely feels good to have it on and I’m completely happy to put on it.
- HRX fireproof head sock: Fireproof head sock that’s in case of a hearth and goes beneath my helmet. It additionally retains my helmet nicer for an extended time frame since I sweat extra within the head sock
- Sparco gloves: These are my fireproof gloves. As you possibly can inform by now, we’re at excessive danger for fires in my line of labor! These are certainly one of my many pairs of gloves.
- Radio ear buds: These earbuds plug straight into my helmet which plugs into my automobile so I can talk with my crew all through the race. It’s an necessary line of communication that not many followers learn about.
- Journey guitar: I’ve all the time beloved music and I all the time journey with my guitar to be used throughout downtime. I actually loved taking part in within the band whereas I used to be in school in-person and since I’m now in on-line college, it was one thing I couldn’t proceed to do, so I used to be on the lookout for an instrument to be taught and play solo. I picked up guitar and began educating myself find out how to play. I journey with it so I can proceed training and studying. There’s loads of time we spend in our trailers as we look forward to our classes, so it’s an effective way to cross the time and be taught a brand new ability! I’ve began to place collectively some chords and patterns that I’ve discovered, so it’s been actually thrilling to play with these methods. I attempt to emulate Marcin Patrzalek, who performs fingerstyle guitar and some different guitarists like Edward Ong and Eddie Van Der Meer. I feel that sound is admittedly distinctive and funky.
- Further fits, gloves and sneakers: I’ve about seven pairs of gloves and three pairs of sneakers for each race simply in case.
- OMP racing sneakers: I like my OMP racing boots. They’re fireproof and really skinny in order that I can really feel the pedals. A really feel in your ft is extraordinarily necessary when racing.
- Checkered bucket hat: This has turn into my trademark over time. I’m all the time sporting a hat across the pits to guard myself from the solar. The checkered hat could be very on the market, and it will get a couple of appears, but it surely’s all the time include me. I’ve this hat and a large brim fishing hat that I all the time put on.
- Peanut Butter M&M’s: These are my favourite sugar vice and I all the time have a bag with me – all the time.
- JP Racing stickers: I all the time pack stickers and playing cards to signal autographs and cross out to the youthful followers because it all the time makes them smile. It’s superb to see the following technology of followers. The youthful ones don’t even understand how a lot youthful I’m than many of the different racers.
- EOS lip balm: I carry lip balm as a result of I attempt to hold hydrated when sitting within the automobile for hours at a time. You’d be stunned how dehydrated your physique can get simply sitting within the automobile.
- Sparco and HRX racing fits
- Stilo helmet with my trademark globe on high
You’ll be able to observe Josh on Instagaram at @josh_pierson_racing